As students head back to school, there is one essential school supply that requires no shopping and doesn’t cost a penny—a library card. Since 1987, Library Card Sign-Up Month has been held each September. During the month, libraries unite in a national effort to ensure every child signs up for their own library card. This year, Disney Pixar’s the
Incredibles are Library Card Sign-Up Month honorary chairs, helping to promote the value of a library card and bring attention to the many ways libraries and librarians transform lives and communities through education.
The Margaret E. Heggan Free Public Library in Sewell, NJ seeks a part-time Library Assistant to work a range of 17 to 28 hours per week. The schedule will include a variety of afternoon and evening hours during the week along with rotating Saturday and Sunday hours. This position reports to the Circulation Supervisor. Applications received by October 1, 2018 will be given first priority. Only candidates of interest will be contacted.
- Providing excellent customer service at all times
- Charging and discharging library materials while following policy and procedural guidelines
- Issuing new library cards and renewing existing accounts
- Searching for library materials and processing hold requests
- Answering telephones and assisting callers as needed
- Billing and accepting payment for library overdue fees and material charges
- Shelving books, straightening shelves, and reading shelves
- Processing computer guest passes and registering patrons for library programs via online software
- Operating a cash register, photocopy machine, and a facsimile machine
- Tactfully and politely ensuring that library patrons are adhering to Library Code of Conduct as needed
- Performing other duties as assigned at direction of supervisor
- High school diploma
- Ability to communicate well and follow directions while being detail-oriented
- Excellent computer skills with the ability to learn new software quickly
- Flexibility with schedule and ability to work additional hours during staff absences
- Prior experience working in a library and using the Dewey Decimal Classification System or prior experience working with the public
- Knowledge of and interest in reading materials and other items that may be borrowed at a public library
Submit the following information to email@example.com with attention to Sheila Mikkelson, Library Director:
- Cover letter
- Names, postal addresses, telephone numbers, and e-mail addresses for at least three professional references
Applications received by October 1st, 2018 will be given first priority. Only candidates of interest will be contacted.