PT Library Assistant
The Margaret E. Heggan Free Public Library is seeking candidates for a Part-Time Library Assistant to begin in January 2024. This position reports to the Circulation Supervisor. The selected candidate, if not a New Jersey resident, will be required to establish New Jersey residency within a year of appointment in accordance with the New Jersey First Act. Pay is $16.39 per hour. All part-time library staff are eligible for accrued sick time based on the requirements of the New Jersey Paid Sick Leave Law. The selected candidate must enroll in the DCRP pension system, which is a mandatory payroll deduction of 5.5% of base salary.
Here is the schedule for this position:
- Mondays: 10 AM – 4 PM
- Thursdays: 4 PM – 9 PM
- Fridays: Noon – 5 PM
- Three out of four Sundays per month: 12:30 PM – 5 PM. The library is open on Sundays throughout the year except for Easter, Mothers Day, and Fathers Day.
- We need to hire someone who has flexibility in their schedule and can possibly work additional substitute hours on Saturdays from 9:30 AM – 5 PM and additional evening hours as needed.
- Providing excellent customer service at all times
- Charging and discharging library materials while following policy and procedural guidelines
- Issuing new library cards and renewing existing accounts
- Searching for library materials and processing hold requests
- Answering telephones and assisting callers as needed
- Billing and accepting payment for library overdue fees and material charges
- Shelving books, straightening shelves, and reading shelves
- Processing computer guest passes and registering patrons for library programs via online software
- Operating a cash register, photocopy machine, and a facsimile machine
- Tactfully and politely ensuring that library patrons are adhering to Library Rules of Conduct as needed
- Assisting with coverage at the childrens desk
- Performing other duties as assigned at direction of supervisor
- High school diploma
- Ability to communicate well and follow directions while being detail-oriented
- Excellent computer skills with the ability to learn new software quickly
- Flexibility with schedule and ability to work additional hours during staff absences
- Prior experience working in a library and using the Dewey Decimal Classification System or prior experience working with the public
- Knowledge of and interest in reading materials and other items that may be borrowed at a public library
Only candidates of interest will be contacted. Please click here to submit your application.