PT CHILDREN’S LIBRARY ASSISTANT
The Margaret E. Heggan Free Public Library in Sewell, NJ seeks a part-time Children’s Library Assistant to work a range of twenty-five to twenty-nine hours per week. The schedule includes a variety of morning and afternoon hours during the weekday and regularly scheduled weekend hours throughout the year, including summer months. This position reports to the Children’s Librarian. The selected candidate, if not a New Jersey resident, will be required to establish New Jersey residency within a year of appointment in accordance with the New Jersey First Act.
The Margaret E. Heggan Free Public Library is the municipal library for residents of Washington Township in Gloucester County. The library celebrated its fiftieth anniversary in 2016. The library is located in a 20,000 square foot building that was renovated in 2010. The children’s library department includes an ample collection of youth materials, several public access computers, an enclosed story time room, and a public service desk that is staffed during all operating hours. The library’s 2020 operating budget is approximately $1.6 million. The library has a strong history of excellent services to youth and strives to continue this tradition.
General Description of Position: Under direction, performs a variety of library tasks related to service for children and their caregivers at the children’s public service desk; assists with collection maintenance; performs all other library functions at the direction of supervisor.
- Greet and assist patrons who visit the children’s library
- Assist with readers’ advisory for children and their caregivers
- Answer questions related to appropriate reading levels; direct patrons to books on the proper level
- Become familiar with and read some new children’s books to better provide readers’ advisory assistance
- Assist with organizing supplies for the summer reading program
- Prepare thematic and seasonal displays of books and other library materials
- Assist with preparing programming materials for supervisor
- Help children and caregivers with technology, including the use of the computers with Internet access and early literacy stations
- Perform duties related to the circulation of the American Girl dolls
- Clean toys and maintain and clean doll clothes that circulate
- Assist in the running of the certified pet literacy programs by registering patrons; selecting and displaying appropriate books; greeting and communicating with attendees and handlers; and performing clean-up duties afterwards, including vacuuming areas inside and outside of the children’s library
- Search for and process hold requests and pull holds as requested by patrons
- Answer telephone and assist and redirect callers
- Help patrons with directional questions, material location, and title requests
- Register patrons for library programs using software and communicate with patrons about availability, restrictions, and eligibility due to vacancies
- Shelve library materials using alphabetical filing and the Dewey Decimal Classification system and ensure all materials are in the proper location
- Shelfread the collection using alphabetical filing and the Dewey Decimal Classification system and ensure they are placed in the proper location
- Maintain collection including shifting and straightening materials
- Search for lost or missing items and retrieve library materials for discarding
- Issue computer passes using software
- Tidy tables and seating areas and report any condition or cleanliness issues
- Make copies of required paperwork, brochures, and forms as needed
- Attend department staff meetings quarterly or more often as required
- Understand and uphold library policies and procedures
- Perform all other duties as assigned
- High school diploma
- Ability to read, write, and speak the English language sufficiently to perform the duties of this position
- At least one year working in a paid public service position, preferably in a responsible role of assisting children and their caregivers
- Competent at alphabetical filing and the Dewey Decimal System Classification system of filing
- Able to work with the public
- Must possess basic computer skills
- Flexibility with schedule and ability to work additional hours during staff absences
- Knowledge of the developmental stages of youth
Compensation and Benefits: Pay is $12.00 per hour. Paid time off includes ten hours of vacation per year and accrued sick time based on the requirements of the New Jersey Paid Sick Leave Law. This position requires participation in the Defined Contribution Retirement Program pension system. The calculation is 5.5% of the base salary with a 3% employer match. The pension system includes a life insurance policy.
To Apply: Applications received by March 4, 2020 will be given first priority. Only candidates of interest will be contacted. Submit the following information to email@example.com with attention to Sheila Mikkelson, Library Director:
- Cover letter
- Names, postal addresses, telephone numbers, and e-mail addresses for at least three professional references
The Margaret E. Heggan Free Public Library is seeking quotes for lawn services.
PLEASE QUOTE THE FOLLOWING LAWN SERVICES FOR 2020:
- Lawn cutting, trimming, and edging which includes clean up, removal of all clippings, cuttings, and trash (paper, grass, cans, etc.) from the lot, weeding of grounds, flower beds, front shrubbery area, and sidewalk cracks throughout the season. Service should be provided about every 7 – 10 days.
Price per cut___________
- In the early spring, removal of grass/weeds in all beds and tree wells. Application of hardwood mulch around trees, bushes, and in the three areas near the library entrance.
Price for spring clean up______________
- Application of fertilizer to lawn, shrubs, and trees once in the spring.
Price for spring fertilizer___________
- Application of fertilizer to lawn, shrubs, and trees once in the fall.
Price for fall fertilizer____________
TOTAL PRICE FOR THE ABOVE SERVICES: _____________________
PLEASE RESPOND to firstname.lastname@example.org by March 6, 2020 at 5:00 p.m.
Winning bidder will be notified by March 20 2020.
Please include the following with your quote:
STATE OF NJ BUSINESS REGISTRATION CERTIFICATE
To obtain a copy by mail, call 609-292-1730, or write to the Division at the Client Registration Bureau, PO Box 252, Trenton, NJ 08646-0252.
If awarded the contract, you must provide a Certificate of Insurance.
For questions, please contact Sheila Mikkelson, Library Director, at 856-589-3334 extension 211.
Library News Archive